Currently browsing category

Decisions

Waiting

Spadefoot Returns – 23 Days Adrift

There are bits and pieces of this saga on Facebook and sailing forums, but I thought it would be good to put all of this in one place for easy reference.  I’m not aware of many/any other boats that had been abandoned, drifted for so long, and were brought back …

IMG_3019

Rudderdundancy…

First, the backstory… Ordered emergency rudder from Competition Composites in Canada.  It shipped UPS and we redirected it to the UPS warehouse in north Austin because it required a signature and we wouldn’t be home to sign.  Rudder arrived at the warehouse Monday morning.  Monday evening we spend an hour …

Two Triton displays...

Yeah, it’s got a Hemi!

We’ve had many great weekends for sailing and racing this winter, but this week and next have been reserved for off the water projects to get Spadefoot ready for Pacific Cup in July.  First up, was a big one.  We’ve had Spadefoot for 1.5 years and the boat came with …

Our storm jib will be slightly smaller than this one, on the 100 foot Comanche

The Winter “To Do” List

It’s winter and Pacific Cup starts in 6 months.  That means it is time to get serious about the To Do list on Spadefoot.  It is so much easier to get things done on Spadefoot with the boat only 30 minutes away versus the preparing Shearwater for crossing oceans when …

The orange Orion smoke flares didn't work too badly, but they were still hard to light.

Safety at Sea – Lessons Learned

Last weekend Chris & I attended a two-day Safety at Sea Seminar hosted by the San Francisco Yacht Club in beautiful Tiburon, CA. The course is accredited by US Sailing and is a requirement for Double-Handed crews entered in Pacific Cup next year (or 30% of the members of a …

Virtual Winds

Virtual Winds & Weather4D Pro

Next weekend we fly to Porto to move Shearwater down the coast to Gibraltar.  It’s roughly 500nm to the rock and a nice chance to try all of the changes we’ve made to Shearwater since arriving in Porto last summer.  It shouldn’t come as a surprise that we are already …

IMG_1719

There and back again

Oh yes, it’s Hobbit time and like the good fellow Bilbo Baggins we are about to embark on a memorable journey.    After a few months of maybe here, maybe there, we got the official word this week that I am transferring back to Austin, TX.  But hey, I got a …

T-Minus_pic

T-minus one month to blast off!

Side note: If you can read this blog post then we were successful at testing out posting via the XGate email service that we will be using in conjunction with an Iridium 9555 satellite phone. We just passed the one month to go mark for our planned departure from Annapolis. …